The Wishbone Alley Gazette August 2005
- The 2005 Nor'Wester is becoming more an adventure than rally, with fewer than ten entrants. The route is just about "in the box", heading to Bella Coola for the inside passage ferry ride (13 hours) to Vancouver Island.
Ron Sorem researched old Thunderbird roads, barely recognizable without their snow, to Williams Lake. Brian Carrierre, from Island Rallysport Club, set up the southward tour from Port Hardy to Victoria. The $700 entry fee includes the $200 ferry and motels. The schedule was dictated by the Wednesday ferry schedule.
- Four RASC teams made the Golden West 2005 (July 23/24) rally, joining a few from B.C. and Oregon to make a 21 car field.
Satch and Russ Kraushaar won with 37 points. Sorenson brothers were third (47 pts)
McMillen/Crippen second in class and overall with 42 points. (Whoo-whoo!) Ron Sorem and Max Vaysburd were 4/4 with 51 pts. Eric Horst/Steve Willey 7/7th with 90 pts.
Comden / Tinseth placed second in their class, 11th overall with 277 pts.
Run under SCCA rules, the checkpoints were of the stop-at-CP variety. Timing was to the hundredth, with a 30 second max. All different from the rest of the PCC series. Four CP crews, plus 9 Do-It-Yourself controls generated 36 scored checkpoints. Lacking clearcut instructions on how to do DIYC's and Time Decs, scoring wasn't completed until a few days after the event.
RM Pete Soper did a great job with the course.
- Gold Digger (July 23/24), BC TSD Championship. 13 entires, five DNF's on the all-night event. Gary Webb/ John Kisela dominated with 20 pts.
- Ketchum Rally (July 24) got only 13 cars, what with other events for rallyists to choose from. The field was made up of four each UnL Novice, and SOP, with one Equipped entry. Puget Sound Rally Club scored 21 controls.
- Potlatch (Alfa club) rally reused much of the '05 Raindrop route, chopped and trimmed to fit the 8AM to noon window that was allowed. Dan Comden and Marvin Crippen did the final checkout. RASC orchestrated the event, with Steve Willey, Mark Nolte, Steve Richards, Jim Hogan and Ron Sorem providing CP timing. Marvin Crippen did sweep and scoring duties. Although scoring went smoothly, the Alfisti had moved on to cone crushing and sight seeing by time the11 cars were scored. Awards were handed out that evening, so they didn't miss anything.
Vince Plancich thanks RASC for the help and support. He was complimented on the route and scenery. Otherwise, it was one Excederin headache after another- without any Excederin!
- The "Great Race" finished in Tacoma this year. Jerry went to see things. Besides no faces he recognized, he noted that the restriction to speedometer and analog clock have evolved some very fancy devices intended to look like something out of the '20's.
- Nor'Wester: Jerry is contemplating some minor changes to the format. (I'm not sure, but the entrants actually may just want to see more of Canada, so the grueling "rally" aspect may be toned down-MN) More to be announced.
- Dan Comden was looking for new seats for his Saab. An Oregon wrecking yard looked likely. Two and a half hours later and $25 each, he has new seats.
FOR SALE / Wanted:
- 95 Mustang white convertible, $3900. New V6 motor & carpet, Yokohamas on 16" GT wheels, 92,000 original miles. Jerry or Colleen, 425-823-6343
- '02 white Chevy Tahoe, 32K miles, $20K is below book, and it may be on its way to the auction if you donāt move fast.
- '99 Town & Country AWD Limited, $7600. 110K mi., loaded. Jerry's current ride is one-too-many for the driveway. Jerry or Colleen, 425-823-6343
- For Sale: One side-terminal battery, purchased in an idiot fog of panic for way more than reasonable, never installed in a vehicle, however has traveled as a passenger (in the trunk) on the entire 2005 No Alibi route (in other words, rally experienced), make reasonable offer (like maybe forty bucks). email@example.com or 425-485-6225.
- For Free: One Compac 200MHz computer with floppy, CD, 2G HD, internal dial-up modem. Keyboard, mouse, no monitor. firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-485-6225.
Puget Sound-area TSD
- Aug 12- Friday Nighter, PSRC, Bellevue
- Aug 15-18 - Nor'Wester 2005, RASC, to Bella Coola BC, then ferry to Vancouver Isle and Finish in Victoria.
- Aug 21-"Western Whatcom Wobble", Monte Carlo, Chuckanut Sports Car Club
- Sep 9- Friday Nighter, NWRC, Bellevue
- Oct 1- Night on Bald Mountain, ORCA
- Oct 14- Friday Nighter, RASC, Bellevue
- Nov 5- Armageddon XXIV, Bellingham WA
- Nov 11- Friday Nighter, NWRC, Bellevue
NW Stage events
- Aug 7 ORG SCCA Rally Cross #4 Hood River, OR
- Aug 13- Ray's Rambler, Rally Sprint & Party Montesano, WA http://www.nwr-scca.org/
- Aug 14- Janice's Jaunt, Rally Sprint & Party Montesano, WA http://www.nwr-scca.org/
- Aug 28- NWR Rally Cross #2 NWR SCCA Rally Cross (tentative), Brooklyn, WA
- Sep 10-11- Wild West International Rally, Shelton
- Sep 25- ORG SCCA Rally Cross #5
- Oct 22- Mt Hood, Reg'l Stage Rally, Odell OR
- Oct 23- Hood River, Regal Stage Rally, Odell, OR
- Nov 6- ORG SCCA Rally Cross #6
Canada TSD events
- Aug 14- Novice TSD #3, Campbell River BC
- Aug 27- Tsunami, Vanc. Is. Series #3
- Sep 24- WCRA Rally-X
- Oct ??- WCRA Novice TSD Rally Workshop
- Oct 29- Midnight, BC Regional TSD, Nanaimo
- Nov 19-20- Totem, BC Regional TSD PCC
Portland, Oregon, TSD
- Aug 13- Rally round Portland Int'l Raceway (PIR) Reg likely open at 11ish, first lap of PIR noonish (or whenever the track is cold and we can get on), 3+ hour tour looping back to PIR for another lap at the end of racing day.
- Aug 20- Mountains to Sea, All-day touring rally from Portland to the beach. Start at Eastport G.I. Joe's parking lot, Eastport Plaza, 3900 SE 82nd, Portland, Oregon.
Rainier Auto Sports Club will meet this coming Monday, August 8 at 7:30 PM at Café Veloce at the Totem Lake shopping center. Best way I can think of to get there is north on I-405, take the "NE 124th" exit, then keep right under NE 124th and straight at the signal. This puts you on Totem Lake Blvd, not whatever the frontage road is next to I-405. Then right first poss, with the Café on your right at that point.
Monthly meetings are the second Monday of each month. Past Members, visitors, and spectators are welcomed.
Agenda: Nor'wester plans. Reviews of recent rallys.
2005 Board Members:
- President: Marvin Crippen, 206-365-5915
- Vice-President: Jerry Hines, 425-823-6343
- Secretary: Eric Horst, 206-363-9752
- Treasurer: Ed Millman, 206-361-7389
- Member at Large: Stephen Willey, 206-324-5090
- Member at Large: Mark Nolte, 425-653-3578
The Wishbone Alley Gazette is published for the members and friends of Rainier Auto Sports Club. Subscription price is $10 per year.